While the market for 1/18-scale R/C crawlers is small, it’s slowly gaining new players, including Axial, and it recently announced Capra UTB18. If the Capra name rings a bell, then you’re probably well aware of its 1/10-scale namesake.
The 1/18-scale Capra UTB18 appears to be primed to follow in the tire tracks of its larger-scale cousin, featuring many of the design elements that make the Capra a capable (and, most of all, fun) crawler. The UTB18 captures the same tube-frame cage and polycarbonate body panel design from the 1/10-scale model, slightly downsized. LED lights can be found in the headlight area, under the front fenders, and on a roof-mounted light bar, allowing for indoor and outdoor nighttime driving.
Capping off the Capra UTB18’s appearance are two choices for cage and body panel colors (black/green with Axial and Currie branding or gray/orange with Axial and Fox Shocks branding). These color and graphics options roll on size-appropriate, licensed Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires that have been mounted to 1.1″ wheels.
The chassis of the UTB18 features a four-link suspension setup with metal links, plastic-bodied shocks, and portal axles. The 1/18-scale version of the Capra has 1.7″ of ground clearance and should be capable of handling some fairly gnarly trail obstacles.
Durability-wise, this machine features all-metal front universals and rear axles, allowing you to tackle any terrain you’d like without fear of breakage.
A 380-size, 37T brushed motor provides the crawling power for this machine, and a Spektrum S651 servo ensures you’re always pointed in the right direction. A Spektrum SLT2 radio transmitter, a Dynamite USB battery charger, and a 2S LiPo battery pack are also included with the Capra UTB18 RTR to let you hit the trail as soon as you open the box.
Axial UTB18 Capra Unlimited Trail Buggy Specs:
- Length: 12.6″ (320 mm)
- Width: 7.7″ (196 mm)
- Wheelbase: 9″ (229 mm)
- Front Track 7.7 in (195mm)
- Rear Track: 7.7 in (195mm)
- Weight: 29.7 oz (842g)
- Ball Bearings: Complete Vehicle
- Completion Level: Ready-To-Run
- Drivetrain: 4WD
- Drive Type: Forward/Brake/Reverse
- Product Height: 5.9″ (150 mm)
- Wheel Hex Size: 12mm
- Brakes: Integral with ESC
- Body: Tube Style Cage with Panels
- Power Type: Electric
- Gear Pitch: 48-Pitch
- Pinion Gear: 13T
- Spur Gear: 40T
- Differential Bevel Gear, Locked (33/13T)
- Scale: 1/18
- Internal Gear Ratio: 10.2:1
- Battery: Included
- Tire Tread: Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
- Vehicle Type: Rock Crawler
- Ground Clearance: 1.7 in (43mm)
- Connector Type: EC2
- Final Drive Ratio: 44.88:1
- Motor Type: Brushed
- Motor Size: 380 37T
- Speed Control/ESC: Included
- Charger: Included
- Steering Type: 2WS
- Suspension: Solid Axle, Front and Rear
- Radio System (Receiver & Transmitter): Included
- Wheel Width 1.1 in (28mm)
- Shock Type: Coil-over 2.2-3.1 in (55-78.5mm), Plastic
- Inner Tire / Outer Wheel Diameter: 1.55 in
Priced at $249.99, the UTB18 Capra will be available through Axial, Horizon Hobby, and their dealers. Visit horizonhobby.com to learn more about this 1/18-scale R/C crawler.
Image credit: Horizon Hobby