Boost the performance of these versatile 1/18-scale vehicles with motor, servo, and chassis hop-ups.
The two vehicles in Axial’s 1/18 off-road lineup have gained an impressive following since being released in late 2016. The Yeti Jr. Rock Racer and Yeti Jr. SCORE Trophy Truck are quite capable out of the box, however there are always upgrades and adjustments you can make to wring out even more performance.
Here are a selection of upgrade parts to help you customize and enhance the looks, handling and power of these small-scale machines.
Motor and ESC (Electronic Speed Control)
Out of the box, the Yeti Jr’s 40-T brushed motor Is a capable and sporty option. That said, there is always room for improvement…and more speed. With a number of options available, swapping out the stock motor and ESC is an easy quick way to bump up the speed and power of this small-scale machine.
- Castle Creations Mamba Micro X ESC – $67.29 (Amazon.com)
- Castle Creations Brushless Motors for 1/18-scale vehicles (4100kv) – $37.99
- Castle Creations Brushless Motors for 1/18-scale vehicles (5300kv) – $37.99
- Castle Creations Mamba Micro X ESC & Brushless Motor Combo (4100kv) – $92.99
- Castle Creations Mamba Micro X ESC & Brushless Motor Combo (5300kv) – $92.99
- Leopard Hobby 7780kv Brushless Motor – $18.90 (Amazon.com)
- Leopard Hobby Micro ESC for 1/18 & 1/16-scale vehicles – $25.99 (Amazon.com)
The stock servo that is shipped with the Axial Yeti Jr. is one area that you may want to look at replacing before anything else. Improve the steering response and power with the following, compatible options.
- Savox SH-0255-MG Metal Gear Servo – $31.98 (Amazon.com)
- Savox SH-0263-MG Metal Gear Servo – $34.99 (Amazon.com)
- HiTec HS-85 Servo – $19.99
- HiTec HS-5065-MG Metal Gear Servo – $36.53 (Amazon.com)
- Gotek DC2124T Servo
Suspension, Chassis and Drivetrain
If you’re looking to improve the appearance and handling of your 1/18 Yeti Jr, there are a number of chassis and suspension components that you can upgrade.
- GPM Racing Aluminum Front Shocks – $18.30 (Amazon.com)
- GPM Racing Aluminum Rear Shocks – $20.40 (Amazon.com)
- GPM Racing Steel #45 Front CVD Shaft – $18.30 (Amazon.com)
- GPM Racing Steel #45 Dogbone Rear Driveshaft – $6.90 ($7.50 Amazon.com)
- GPM Racing Aluminum Rear Lower Chassis Links – $20.40 (Amazon.com)
- GPM Racing Aluminum Front Shock Tower – $9.90
- GPM Racing Aluminum Rear Shock Tower – $9.90
- GPM Racing Aluminum Tie Rods – $12.90 (Amazon.com)
- GPM Racing Aluminum Tie Rod Stabilizer for Front C Hub – $21.50 (Amazon.com)
- 3D Printed Battery/Electronics Relocation Tray – $18.00
Wheels and Tires
Not only will a new set of tires and wheels enhance the looks of your off-road rig get a boost, but you may be able to add a bit of weight to this featherlight vehicle.
- Boom Racing 1.55 Terra Classic 8-Hole Aluminum Beadlock Wheels – $27.90
- GPM Racing 6-hole Aluminum Wheels (2pc) – $10.70 (Amazon.com)
- GPM Racing 6-hole Aluminum Wheels (4pc) – $21.50 (Amazon.com)
Body & Panels
While I’m personally a fan of the bodies which are included with the Axial Yeti Jr. Rock Racer and Yeti Jr. SCORE Trophy Truck, adding some individual flair can help set your machine apart from the rest.
No matter what upgrade path you choose, there are a number of great ways to customize the appearance, performance, and handling of your Axial Yeti Jr. Even swapping out internal component can turn this small-scale vehicle into an entirely-new machine.