Get your off-road kicks on a smaller scale (and budget) with the latest offering from LaTrax.
The LaTrax lineup of 1/18 vehicles doesn’t boast large numbers, but what they do have is a solid fleet of small-scale, fun-filled R/C machines. Recently, their surface machines received small updates in the form of Traxxas iD battery/ESC connectors. Another change is in the removal of their SST 4WD truck.
Having seen this specific model up close (and secretly wanting one for a while), I was worried that my opportunity to pick one up had slipped away. Thankfully, LaTrax has announced a replacement model; their Desert Prerunner 4×4. This new truck sports a redesigned body shell and familiar chassis components.
Featuring a molded light bar and raised hood accents this new body looks quite aggressive and slightly less “boxy” than its predecessor. Two color schemes are available (red and blue), allowing you to easily race and bash with your friends. Under the lid, the components are the same as what you would have found on the LaTrax SST.
A durable, nylon chassis tub serves as the base for the tightly-packed electronic components. A waterproof electronic speed control (ESC), steering servo and sealed receiver box will let you carry on your fun, no matter what the weather conditions may bring.
A brushed 370 motor powers this small-scale truck and an included 7.2v NiMh battery provides the juice to keep it rolling. This model also utilizes Traxxas iD connectors and includes an AC wall charger.
LaTrax Desert Prerunner Specs
- Length: 12.16″ (309mm)
- Front Track: 6.73″ (171mm)
- Rear Track: 6.73″ (171mm)
- Weight (with battery): 26.06oz (739g)
- Weight (without battery): 20.16oz (572g)
- Height (overall): 4.61″ (117mm)
- Wheelbase: 6.44″ (164mm)
- Wheel Diameter: 1.38″ (35mm) (Outer)
- 1.85″ (47mm) (Inner)
- Shock Length (front/rear): 2.36″ (60mm)
- Ground Clearance: 0.59″ (15mm)
- Front/Rear Tires: Slash
- Front/Rear Wheels: 5-Spoke
- Electronic Speed Control: Waterproof Forward/Reverse ESC
- Motor (electric): 370 Brushed
- Transmission: 10T Pinion / 60T Spur
- Gear Ratio (internal): 2.5:1
- Overall Drive Ratio: 15:1 (Stock, Out-of-box)
- Differential Type: Hardened Steel Bevel (Ring and Pinion)
- Gear Pitch: 0.5 Mod.
- Chassis Structure/Material: Molded Composite Nylon Monocoque
- Brake Type: Electronic
- Drive System: Shaft-Driven 4WD
- Steering: Bellcrank
- Radio System: 2.4GHz Radio
Image credit: LaTrax